About Cornwallis

Commissioned in 1942, Cornwallis was built to augment the RCN efforts during WWII. During the war years, HMCS Cornwallis was the largest naval training base in the British Commonwealth. After the war, the base became a discharge centre and then was declared surplus closing February 28, 1946.

HMCS Cornwallis was re-commissioned in November of 1948 and began new training, this time to meet the demands of the Cold War. The base functioned as HMCS Cornwallis until 1966 and then renamed CFB Cornwallis when the Canadian Forces was unified. The base remained active until 1994, and then closed due to a political decision to relocate the training to CFB St. Jean in Quebec.



This site was created by Corey Forman with assistance from Douglas Moore, CYS, RCN/CF RET’D.